Thursday 26 April 2007

Someone's home page? Surprise, Surprise!

This evening I was fiddling around with some Gmail Greasemonkey scripts and I wanted to test the one that forces the use of Gmail when you click on a contact (mailto) link on a website.

Perhaps being in a strange mood, as I am rather unsuccessfully trying to update Edgy Eft to Feisty Fawn at this time also, I happened to type "someone's home page" in Google and look who was top of the list?

What you don't recognise this recorder toting icon of the Free Software Universe?
Ahh! Now you remember! It is the one and only Richard Stallman founder of the GNU Project!

I would recommend a visit to his website and have included his biography below which will give you some idea of what the experience might be like!. Just click on the photo to get there.

Richard Stallman's 1983 biography

(this biography was published in the first edition of "The Hacker's Dictionary".)

I was built at a laboratory in Manhattan around 1953, and moved to the MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab in 1971. My hobbies include affection, international folk dance, flying, cooking, physics, recorder, puns, science fiction fandom, and programming; I magically get paid for doing the last one. About a year ago i split up with the PDP-10 computer to which i was married for ten years. We still love each other, but the world is taking us in different directions. For the moment I still live in Cambridge, Massachusetts, among our old memories. "Richard Stallman" is just my mundane name; you can call me "rms".

No comments:

Post a Comment