Sunday 25 February 2007

Microsoft Access .mdb file handling in Open Office at last!




Open Office 2.1 has just been released and I am looking forward to getting my hands on it particularly as "Base" the Open Office Database package will now handle Microsoft Access files. My main grumble about Open Office now resolved.



This really does now make Open Office a viable alternative to Microsoft Office especially as the interface of Office 2007 has changed so much and the Open Office is more like Office 2003 to use.

I am in discussions with my local TAFE in regard to creating and running a course, using the Windows OS, initially to introduce open source software.
Open Office will be an obvious starting point along with Firefox/Thunderbird - effectively delivering Certificate I in Information Technology using open source applications alone.
Later on I would introduce the use of these same applications using Ubuntu as the OS thereby weaning new users into the idea of using of Linux a bit at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment